Head of Risk Oversight and Controls, Institutional and Brokerage Operations
Reporting into the President of Institutional Services, the Head of Risk Oversight and Controls is responsible for defining, implementing, and leading the overall risk management programs supporting the entire Institutional (Registered Independent Advisors) and Clearing (Brokerage Operations) divisions. This individual directly interacts with and supports 7 functional Managing Directors within Institutional and Brokerage Operations, as well as multiple MD’s and Directors throughout Enterprise Risk, Compliance, Audit, and Legal areas.
This is a strategic role not only responsible for assessing and mitigating risk but more importantly establishing areas where risk thresholds are limiting opportunities.
The role must strategically build effective programs and requirements that support the high level goals of the broader business and meet the risk threshold of the firm, as well as the business units’ objectives. The programs under direct leadership of this role include the primary areas of Advisor and Credit Risk, Operational, Supervisory, Vendor, Business Contingency (BCP), Product, and Project risk.
This role is responsible for building and maintaining business partnerships with corporate functions such as Legal, Compliance, Audit, and the Enterprise Risk group in order to better support business priorities and develop appropriate risk programs and requirements.
Provide focused business lines within the Institutional Risk department that can proactively and effectively mitigate the key risks, as well as quickly respond to demands of the business and changes within the regulatory environment.
Lead strategic development of programs that address the key risks of a broker dealer and custodian in the industry and drive strategic risk awareness and education (internal and external).
The key areas of focus include but are not limited to;
- Advisor Risk: Due diligence and approval of advisors during onboarding and regular intervals, investigations, exception review and decisions, product risk view and participation approval.
- Credit and Financial Risk: Trade surveillance, market risk, credit risk, and fraud prevention.
- Operational Controls: Procedures and supervisory functions and policies, as well as business continuity, risk assessments, audit controls, OSJ requirements, WSPs, and administration of the legal and regulatory requirements of various products.
- Supervisory Risk: Defining and oversight of Written Supervisory Procedures (WSP), performing various supervisory functions on behalf of the business (email surveillance, G&E, etc), and support through OSJ exam processes.
- BCP: Program development, testing, and management.
- Vendor Risk: Creation and management of vendor oversight program for business that coincides with and compliments the enterprise program, and specifically covers vendors NOT covered by the enterprise program.
- Product and Project Risk: Ensuring risk exposures are identified and appropriately mitigated in all product developments and projects.
In addition, this role is client facing and interacts directly with Advisors through escalations, as well as through conferences and business events. This role is very unique in that it is positioned as a “thought leader” in the area of Risk Management on behalf of TD Ameritrade. A key expectation of the role is to represent TD Ameritrade by presenting at various events, including conferences, client panel sessions, interviews with industry experts and webinars.
- 7-10 years of experience in a financial service management position.
- Proven experience in creating and building a risk strategy.
- Must possess advanced securities industry knowledge, including FINRA and SEC rules and regulations relating to broker/dealers and investment advisors.
- Proven leadership, management, and motivational skills are required.
- Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Exceptional listening, assessment, negotiating and analytical skills.
- Strong presentation and media skills.
- Excellent team building and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess strong ability to make sound and practical decisions in a timely manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Must have a proven track record of successfully influencing at all organizational levels.
- Ability to enforce company policies in accordance with applicable regulations and procedures.
- Must possess ability to set the example in all facets of support and professional conduct.
- Series 7, 63 and 24 licenses.
- Southlake, Texas; San Diego, California;
- ID# 2019-23945
- Regular Full-Time
- Managing Director
Job alerts and talent community Receive the latest career opportunities and news
Whether you are ready to apply today or exploring future opportunities, join our talent community to stay up to date with news and job opportunities.Sign up for the talent community
About TD Ameritrade
As a leader in brokerage and investment services for nearly 45 years, TD Ameritrade offers a full spectrum of powerful solutions and innovative tools for trading and investing. We're constantly expanding our knowledge and boosting our capabilities, from a leading active trader program to intuitive long-term investment solutions, and a national branch system. Combine that with some of the industry's brightest minds, and there's no limit to how big our accomplishments can be.
From first-time investors to sophisticated traders, our technology is focused on helping individuals seek out their financial goals. And you're the ambassador to all that we do. Beginning with our trading platform and proprietary technology that aims to outperform, you'll maintain the high level of quality and integrity we're known for, each and every day. With the right opportunity, there's no limit to what you can accomplish.
As a leading employer in financial services, we believe in building strong relationships, achieving quality results and working with integrity. It's at the heart of everything we do. That's why we provide you with comprehensive training, benefits, and programs that inspire you to achieve more every day. Apply to a TD Ameritrade job today and help our clients pursue their dreams, while you fulfill yours.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Immigration sponsorship is typically not available for this position.
TD Ameritrade participates in the E-Verify program. For additional information on this program please click here.