Scrum Master - Contract PositionApply now
This is a Non-Employee Contractual Worker or Temporary Worker providing services for TD Ameritrade. This Non-Employee role will be employed by TD Ameritrade’s preferred 3rd Party Supplier only.
The anticipated, but not guaranteed, term of this engagement will be 6 months. This term could be extended based on company business needs or terminated at any time.
The Scrum Master is a servant leader, helping the rest of the Scrum team progress. He/she keeps the Scrum team productive and learning. He/she must have a good understanding of the Scrum framework and the ability to train others to use it.
The Scrum Master is responsible for promoting Agile values and principles within the development team and the organization. The Scrum Master does anything possible to help the team perform at their highest level. This includes: helping to remove impediments to progress, facilitate meetings, and doing things like working with the product owner to make sure the product backlog is well – groomed and ready for the next sprint. The Scrum Master acts as a buffer between the team and any distracting influences.
- Assists the team by showing them their planned velocity vs. historical velocity, to make sure the targeted work can be accepted
- Helps Product Owner prepare through multiple levels of planning and road mapping discussions
- Fosters conversations/communications
- Enforces team ground rules and cultural norms
- Reviews action items and next steps and holds team accountable for follow through
- Facilitates Sprint Reviews; Works with Product Owner and team to determine the agenda for the review
- Analyze and interpret sprint metrics
- Status reporting and communicating accomplishments, issues, and risks to product stakeholders
- Facilitates Sprint Retrospectives;
- Encourages other team members to facilitate
- Captures info and summarize as sprint planning input
- Backlog Refinement
- Working with the Product Owner;
- Helps Product Owner administer, prepare, groom, prioritize, and right-size the backlog
- For new teams, the Scrum Master facilitates the tasking process
- For mature teams, the Scrum Master charges the team with what they need to accomplish and asks the team to self-organize to accomplish the sprint goals
- Working with the Product Owner;
- Ensures the team is fully functional and productive
- Enables close cooperation across all roles and functions and removes barriers
- Shields team from external interferences
- Helps the team be productive
- Encourages team to be more self-organizing and self-managing
- Identifies, eliminates, or escalates impediments
- Stays focused on delivery and quality, by encouraging teamwork and collaboration and minimizing silos and hand-offs
- Finds techniques for effective product backlog management
- With the Product Owner, clearly communicates product vision, roadmap and product backlog items to the development team
- Monitors team for:
- Agile anti-patterns
- People working in isolation for more than a day
- Anyone making little visible progress
- Wait times or other wasteful processes
- Poor software engineering practices
- Infrequent builds
- Opportunities to amplify cross-training and “T” shaping
- Slippages in quality or velocity trends
- Ensures application of agile principles and understanding and practicing of agility
- Fosters creativity and empowerment
- Ensures the process is followed
- Facilitates retrospectives and promotes continuous improvement
- Servant Leader: Must be able to garner respect from his/her team and be willing to get their hands dirty to get the job done
- Communicative and social: Must be able to communicate well with teams
- Facilitative: Must be able to lead and demonstrate value-add principles to a team
- Assertive: Must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, must be able to be a voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls
- Situationally aware: Must be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to management
- Enthusiastic: Must be high-energy and motivational
- Continual improvement: Must continually be growing ones craft learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team
- Conflict resolution: Must be able to facilitate discussion and encourage alternatives or different approaches
- Attitude of empowerment: Must be able to lead a team to self-organization
- Attitude of transparency: Must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about development and grow business trust
- Emotional Intelligence: need the ability to recognize and address behaviors that are counterproductive to the team dynamic and meeting sprint objectives
- Effective at mediating peer disputes and interpersonal or working style differences
- Attitude of inclusiveness and a bias for making sure all team members have a voice and seat at the table
- Understand basic fundamentals of iterative development as it pertains to moving/converting to an Agile methodology
- Understand other processes and methodologies and can speak intelligently about them and leverage other techniques to provide value to a team/enterprise
- Understand basic fundamentals of software development processes and procedures
- Understand the value of commitments to delivery made by a development team
- Understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics
- Understand backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, and task definition
- Familiarity with common Agile practices, Scrum service-oriented environments, and better development practices
- Must be able to work with other teams across the organization that do not have agile practices or operate in more legacy workflows (i.e. waterfall or ticket based/shared services)
- Ability to navigate complex release management environments and effective at planning and coordinating software releases at various intervals
- Familiarity with Agile tools/products such as JIRA, Confluence, Rally Pivotal, Clarity, etc. is a plus
- Ability to effectively break larger, more ambiguous work/stories into smaller more manageable work packages
- Familiarity with techniques such as user story mapping, personas and persona mapping, visual management and information radiators
- Effective use of video conferencing and other tools for enabling a collaborative work environment for remote teammates
- Organized and skilled at archiving and managing/cataloging many physical artifacts
- Experience as a Scrum Master for at least two years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, and Agile Games
- Experience applying a wide variety of well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (e.g., numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.)
- Previous experience as a team lead
- First level Scrum Master certification: Scrum Alliance: Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Scrum.org: Professional Scrum Master (PSM 1) preferred
- PMP a plus
- Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed
To all recruitment agencies: TD Ameritrade does not accept agency resumes without a signed contract and use of the agency portal. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, TD Ameritrade employees or any other company location. TD Ameritrade is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
- St Louis, Missouri; Ann Arbor, Michigan;
- ID# R-329
- Full time
- Contract Assignment
Job alertsReceive the latest career opportunities
About TD Ameritrade
As a leader in brokerage and investment services for nearly 45 years, TD Ameritrade offers a full spectrum of powerful solutions and innovative tools for trading and investing. We're constantly expanding our knowledge and boosting our capabilities, from a leading active trader program to intuitive long-term investment solutions, and a national branch system. Combine that with some of the industry's brightest minds, and there's no limit to how big our accomplishments can be.
From first-time investors to sophisticated traders, our technology is focused on helping individuals seek out their financial goals. And you're the ambassador to all that we do. Beginning with our trading platform and proprietary technology that aims to outperform, you'll maintain the high level of quality and integrity we're known for, each and every day. With the right opportunity, there's no limit to what you can accomplish.
As a leading employer in financial services, we believe in building strong relationships, achieving quality results and working with integrity. It's at the heart of everything we do. That's why we provide you with comprehensive training, benefits, and programs that inspire you to achieve more every day. Apply to a TD Ameritrade job today and help our clients pursue their dreams, while you fulfill yours.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Immigration sponsorship is typically not available for this position.
TD Ameritrade participates in the E-Verify program. For additional information on this program please click here.